Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Splatter Nails!

Here is my first polish post!!!!

This is the manicure I am currently wearing. It was so easy to do and the instructions on how to do it are below!

To do this manicure, you will need to get some of those skinny coffee stirrer straws. Regular straws won't work because they are too big. You'll also need a small paper plate, preferably the Dixie brand because those are the ones that have that coating on it. Other paper plates I imagine the polish will just soak in to it.

 Pick out the colors you want to use. You will need a base color and then 3-4 contrasting colors for the splatters. I used black for my base, but you can use any color you want. For your splatter colors you will want to pick ones that contrast with whatever your base color is. So if you're using black like I did, you will want to pick bright colors. Darker colors will just blend in with the black base color.
Colors I used
Base color:
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Black Out
Splatter colors:
Essie Blanc (white) 
NYC Quick Dry in Water Street Blue
Sinful Colors Cream Pink


Ok so Step 1 is to paint your nails with the base color.
Then get a paper towel or newspaper or old towel (basically something you don't mind getting ruined) to put your hand on. This WILL get a bit messy!
After your base color is somewhat dry, pick your first splatter color. Put a blob of it on the paper plate. Take the coffee stirrer and dip the end of it in the blob of polish. Make sure the hole in the end of the straw is covered in polish. If it's not, the polish won't splatter on to your nail. Then hold the end with the polish on it over your nail and blow hard into the other end so that the polish blows out and splatters onto your nail. If it doesn't work the first time, just put more polish on it and try again. If the polish you have on the plate starts drying out, just add some  more.

Now repeat that step with all your nails and all your colors until it looks the way you want it! I actually went back and added more white to mine after I did all my colors.

Next is clean up! You will probably have polish have all over your fingers! The best way to get the polish off the area around your nails is to take an old (or new that you bought just for this) eyeshadow brush and dip it in polish remover. It's easier to control around your nails and small enough so that you take off just the polish you want. Use a regular cotton ball or pad to get the polish off the rest of your fingers and hands, just be careful not to get the remover on your nails.

Then add your topcoat and you're done! I use a really awesome topcoat called Seche Vite, it's the fastest drying and shiniest topcoat I have ever seen! I'm planning on doing a post about the products I use at some point, but if anyone has any questions about what I use, or any of the steps to this manicure,  just ask in the comments!

Hope you enjoyed my first nail polish post!

My next couple posts will probably be about the Hunger Games! I am going to (finally!) see the movie this afternoon, and my brand new Sally's store that just opened said they should be getting the China Glaze Hunger Games nail polishes in tomorrow! I have been dying to get my hands nails on them! I plan on swatching them as soon as I can. I'm not buying all the colors, just picking my faves of the collection!

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment